Tuesday, August 28, 2007

So here´s a recap of all the work I´ve done since being here in Field Based Training here in Moroceli. I would write more, but unfortunately I seem to have been struck by another illness (most likely Dengue) and have no energy. I can´t go to the hospital again because there is a huge strike in Tegucigalpa and no one can enter or leave the city, so I have to sit here and sweat it out (literally). The last two weeks have been pretty eventful, so I wanted to at least give everyone a little taste!

1. Went to the immigration office and am now an official resident of Honduras!

2. Got to go to the mall in Teguz and eat some wholesome american fast food and icecream...yum!

3. Went to another soccer game in another town close by-this time the guys were playing so we got to make fun of them like they made fun of us (unfortunately one of them scored so we couldn´t laugh very much).

4. Built to latrines in two afternoons! Learned how to mix cement, use a hoe, lay bricks, level a toilet seat, and mucho mas!

5. Spent a morning working with my host dad on the farm-when I say working i really mean he let me do only ten minutes of light labor because he didn´t want to hurt my soft hands. But I got to ride a horse there and back, which was fun and gave some entertainment to the town!

6. Built a family garden with the local elementary school-it´s amazing how well those ten year olds know how to use a machete!

7. Went on a field trip to Hoya Grande where we spent the day with a local farmer constructing live and dead barriers. This included planting trees and beans, and making a 100 foot rock wall! We decided to go for beers (1 each so we don´t get a bad reputation) and baleadas (tortilla with beans and eggs...yum) after and they tasted so good!!!!

8. Taught fifth graders what international development is and how they can help-don´t think they took much in, but at least they paid attention.

9. Went to Danli (bigger city about 45 minutes away) for the festival de maiz (corn festival). This is third largest festival in Honduras and thus it took us about 2.5 hours to find a ride-all the buses were jammed pack. But once there, we had a great time, eating local food and catching up with the other training class who also came in for the festival. We even got to go to a supermarket, which was pretty awesome!

10. Was taught how to dance by my next door neighbor-basically i tried to dance while everyone else laughed at me.

11. Went to the farm again to pick corn which we used to make a local dish-it was quite a process!

12. Went to a cigar factory where I learned all about the process-it´s pretty intense!

ok gotta go-love to all-wish me luck with whatever illness this is I have!
besos-alice

2 comments:

Pete said...

Hey Allie,

Good to hear you're having fun despite getting sick. Hope you get better soon. We are enjoying our free time in New Haven; classes start next week.

Love,
Pete & Sinead

Unknown said...

im gonna miss you this weekend at homecoming...we love you!!!!!!