Monday, March 31, 2008

Happy Semana Santa

Hello all-
Here are some pics from the last chapter of my life. Spent some time in my site-had a trainee come visit me which was cool since I got to show off my site-and then headed north for a week of relaxation at the beach during semana santa. ENJOY



This is a picture of the school with the newly installed solar panel! And the computers are supposed to be arriving sometime in the next couple of weeks. And then we will have a functioning computer lab. There is bouganvilla like that all over my town-it´s great!



Picture of me with my host siblings on top of the water tank. The trainee I had is from the Water and Sanitation project, so I showed her everything to do with water in my site.



And this is a picture taken from my host families house of the center of town. It was really sunny, but you can still make out everything. I live now in the center of town, but you can imagine the hike I had to do everyday while living with the family.



And this is a picture with the trainee, my host dad, and siblings at the water source. We had to walk about two miles up into the reserve but the water up there is amazingly clean. I drank right from the stream and haven´t gotten sick yet.



Another picture at the ¨Fuente de Agua¨ of the siblings and my host dad. It´s really pretty there. Like we were in the middle of the rain forest. And they say that was what all of San Marcos used to look like before the deforestation began.



A pìc of my host family. On the right is my host dad´s father and in the middle is his grandmother. She´s 84 and has great great grandchildren. Before honduras, I had never even met people with great grandchildren. It´s crazy!



My host dad and his sister at my host cousins Quinciniera! It was a fun party. My host dad is the only boy in a family with 5 women and they have all taken me into their families. This is the youngest-Bea- and she lives in San Marcos too. She just had a baby.





The birthday girl-Diana-with her look a like pinata!
And her getting frosting spread all over her face after we sang happy birthday!



So after all the fun at the quinciniera, I went to Trujillo to spend Semana Santa. This is the biggest holiday in Honduras and everyone leaves the inner parts of the country to go to the beaches to swim and relax. In addition, everyone eats fish the whole week-no meat is allowed. So I decided to go to Trujillo with some of my PC friends and experience the fun of the caribbean coast!




Some BEAUTIFUL sunsets from my hotel.



Friends at the beach enjoying the sunset and some cold beer!






More sunsets and a view of Trujillo (our hotel was 7 k outside of the town), which is set against the backdrop of a national park. It kinda reminds me of capetown.



My friends Kyler, Bryce and Wes, along with Elliot, a little british boy who made friends with our group.



The silly boys being silly. They don´t get to see eachother as often as they would like and get a little crazy when together.



A REALLY BIG shell I found at the beach! One day there was a crazy storm with huge waves and lots of rain (not great for the tan I was working on) but then afterwards, the beach was full of amazing shells! This one was as big as my head!



Some pictures of La Loca Lola (my perrita). The first she´s with my host families puppy-she likes staying at their house since they have three other dogs and there is always the cat to chase. She´s a trouble maker, but I love her. I don´t know what I´d do if she wasn´t there at night for me to talk to...I´d probably just talk to myself! She´s growing but i don´t think she´ll be that big.
In the second one she´s in my front yard with a baseball i gave her, hoping she would chew that instead of my shoes-no such luck!





Lastly, my host mom with my siblings! I just can´t resist taking pictures of the baby-he´s so cute!

Ok all done-need to do real work now. I´m trying to a hydropower project in my town (i´m really excited about it!) for the school and at least the central area. So I need to find some funding! Hope all is well in the states-I´m going to be there in less than two months for la boda de mi hermano and I can´t wait!
Cuidense y besos para todos!
besos

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.